Bumps on the Way Up

1 comments

It’s been a killer semester so far. Good and bad. The quick catch-up is this. The move to Logan has gone well so far. A job in Accounting, my gallbladder removed after a surfing trip, offer for a 3 month internship in Peru, trying to catch up after missing a month of school, etc. You get the point.

I think that’s how life is though. Everyday, you get up, you take a breath (or maybe just hit the snooze button), and then hit the day with the best hopes. The hard part is balancing the responsible with the wants. The best part is when responsibility aligns with those wants. The want of wanting to be apart of something bigger and better than yourself, of pushing yourself outside of your own boundaries.

The day you walk into High School, you’re labeled. You’re the jock, or the band nerd, or the punk. The scary part is how sticky the labels are. I graduated almost 5 years ago and somehow, I think I still let those labels define me. Now, don’t worry – I’m not about to go all High School Musical or Glee on you. I’m just saying that somehow, someway, I’m still letting labels define me and it’s about time I put on my big boy pants and got out of them. People are always saying they wish they could ‘get a fresh start'.’ I have to wonder though what makes them think things are going to change. Sure, the place may change, but that’s not what people are going for. They’re trying to change themselves. If WE don’t change, then moving locations wont do anything. Change has to happen inside before an external change will make a difference.

That means slacking off the labels and trying new things, pushing yourself where you didn’t think you could go, even its uncomfortable.

 

And now, Glee;)



1 comment:

  1. you can always start over. start fresh. do differently. be better. i've done it tons of times. it's hard though, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete