First real job interview

2 comments

By the end of the semester, I will have an  accounting certificate,IC3 certificate, Quickbooks certificate, Bloomberg Certificate, A.S. Managerial/Financial Accounting, A.S. Business, and a B.S. Finance. I’m bi-lingual and all things considered, I could have a worse resume.  In other words, I’m about at prepared as I’m going to get if I’m going to go get a job. So the hunt begins.
My first chance came with an investment banking company by the name of Goldman Sachs. If you’re familiar with the financial history of this country, you will have heard of Goldman Sachs. They currently have a running reputation as being the most prestigious investment banking company in the world. During the 2008 financial crises, they were pegged as the next big bank to fail, but ended up pulling through relatively well by diversifying into a deposit holding company.
At the suggestion of a professor I trust, I took his suggestion. Goldman Sachs has an operations division in SLC and USU is a target school for recruitment.
3 years ago, GS only hired one person from USU. 2 years ago, they hoped to get 60 applicants, interview 30, and hire 15. Instead they only got 30 applicants, interviewed all 30, and only hired 5. This year, they hoped to again get 60 applicants, 30 interview and hire 15. Instead, they got 80 applicants, interviewed 45, and planned to hire 15-20. When they email came asking for an interview, I was excited. Since the position was for an internship, to qualify, I would have to extend my college education for a semester in fall (for a summer internship).
Last friday, I showed up for “super day”. They interviewed 45 from USU – but that was just from USU. They also had applicants from a few other schools that day.
I was set for 2 interviews. The interviews went pretty well. They where mostly “will you fit in here” questions so when I was able to answer all the questions, give reasons, and even relate them to experiences on my resume, I felt pretty good about things.
Today, the email came though.
Dear Preston,
Thank you for taking the time to interview with Operations, Salt Lake City for a Summer Analyst position. After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that we will not be pursuing your application further. We are considering many strong applicants for a limited number of positions. We appreciate your interest in Goldman Sachs and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Goldman Sachs Recruiting Team


So, what does that mean? Well, no shame in admitting that it is a bit of a let down. It some ways, its a relief though.  I get to graduate for one. Also, it doesn’t mean I’m done yet with Goldman Sachs. I saw today that they have a couple of full time analyst positions open.
So who knows, maybe I’ll end up coming out better than just an internship. Maybe I’ll get an analyst position. Or, maybe I’ll find something else. Time to start the hunt for real.
Dale Out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh bummer! There were some jobs we thought we really wanted Aaron to get at first but once he got hired at invista we were and are so grateful that the others didn't want him! Keep your head up and keep searching hard and eventually the right one will come. I am pretty sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to be positive...keep going strong, the right job will come...just don't forget to look in Texas...PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!see you in April

    ReplyDelete